Sunday, July 11, 2004

 

Some Thoughts on a Beautiful Day

I just came home from a short assignment. As I was driving along I saw a thirtyish couple riding their bikes and a man who looked old enough to have grown children rollerblading. One of the songs from the 60s musical "Hair" was playing on the radio. The sun was shining brightly. This weekend there's a street fair on a major artery not far from my house. The street is closed to traffic and people are wandering around happily, kids are eating ice creams and going on rides. It's a perfect summer day.

I enjoy driving right now because in the car I am as mobile as anyone else. I sing along to the oldies while reminding myself to check the mirrors and drive responsibly! I feel free.

As I drove along, noticing all those people moving freely on their own steam with no hesitation or help from a cane, crutches or a wheelchair, I got a little lump in my throat, though I succeeded in warding off the sudden onset of depression. I will not stay this way because I cannot. My doctor cannot ethically leave me as I am because it will only get worse if left untreated. I look forward to my upcoming surgery as the first step towards recovery.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?